Pharmacyclics, an AbbVie biopharmaceutical company based in Silicon Valley, was expanding. The company wanted to consolidate its people in new space that would support how they needed to work and that would express its brand.
HOK’s consultants led series of investigative and analytical work—including an employee survey, observation studies and benchmark comparisons—to inform a new workplace strategy.
This process helped identify five key principles that the interior design team could translate to create a physical workplace that would enable employees to thrive and to achieve Pharmacyclics’ business goals. These principles called for:
- An environment that engages all.
- Space that expresses mission and brand.
- A place that focuses on employee satisfaction.
- A high-performance workplace that enables collaboration and productivity.
- An agile work environment that supports future business growth and needs.
In addition to an assigned workspace for individual and informal collaboration areas, HOK’s workplace strategy proposed meditation rooms, a wellness room, focus rooms, huddle rooms, standup meeting areas, touchdown areas for visitors, different-sized conference rooms and a café break room.
HOK’s change management services engaged Pharmacyclics’ people in the planning process and helped them feel ownership for their new workplace.