As part of a multidisciplinary consortium that includes Arup, BMM and Aviation Solutions, HOK won an international competition to design the New Lisbon Airport on a greenfield site outside Lisbon.
The team’s master plan for the New Lisbon Airport includes:
- A passenger terminal building capable of serving 43 million passengers per year, with a remote satellite connected by an automated people mover.
- Airside planning and infrastructure for four proposed runways.
- Landside planning and infrastructure including roads and rail links.
- A landside airport commercial center and transport interchange with a high-speed rail link to Lisbon.
- Complete air traffic control, support, maintenance and cargo facilities.
The design creates a three-story terminal building in an X-configuration that provides simple orientation and wayfinding and great flexibility to expand.
Extensive views to the apron, the use of natural light and the interrelationships of terraces and vertical circulation atria enhance the passenger experience. Integrating the terminal with the landside airport commercial center and transport interchange creates a vibrant public space.
5.2 million sq. ft. / 484,000 sq. m.