HOK designed the new 17,000-sq.-ft. office space for San Francisco-based Square, Inc., in the @4240 building in the Cortex Innovation Community in midtown St. Louis.
Developer Wexford Science & Technology, LLC, previously teamed with HOK to renovate @4240, a LEED Platinum-certified office and laboratory building that once housed a 1940s phone factory.
Square, the mobile payments company founded by native St. Louisans Jack Dorsey and Jim McKelvey, selected HOK to design the conversion of the historic building’s old wire shed parking garage into a state-of-the-art workplace.
HOK designed Square’s new office space to attract, engage and optimize its appeal to a variety of employees while creating a dynamic, highly functional workplace environment.
The open, collaborative benching environment provides a mix of seated and standing height settings. The design revolves around an eclectic mix of meeting and gathering spaces to support individual and team needs. In addition, there are multiple videoconferencing rooms ranging from phone booths to team rooms.
Other highlights include:
- Orienting the design to take advantage of the 16-foot ceiling and large windows along the building’s east and south facades, as well as several centrally located skylights, to flood the interior with natural light.
- Activity spaces where Square’s workforce can recharge, focus and socialize. These include small nooks and private spaces for meetings and phone conversations. A community space adjacent to a micro kitchen accommodates various company functions.
- Furniture selected to accommodate changes in posture, including adjustable height desks.
- Acoustic panels hanging from the ceiling.
- Custom-designed tables for community space made locally by COLLAB, LLC.
17,000 sq. ft. / 1,580 sq. m.
12 May 2016
“HOK Designs 17,000 SF Office Space in St. Louis for Square Inc.”
5 May 2016
“HOK Designs Square’s New. St. Louis Office in the Cortex Innovation Community”
15 March 2016
“Square Opens Doors to New St. Louis Office in Cortex District”
St. Louis Post-Dispatch