The Human Rights Campaign headquarters building is a renovation of an existing eight-story building constructed in 1956, with an addition in 1974.
The design team approached the renovation of the exterior building envelope as a re-sheathing of the building’s classic mid-century modern form with contemporary materials and technology in a way that both respected and refreshed the original design.
Sustainability was a major component of the renovation, which included new MEP systems, restrooms and a partial new roof.
The previous single-pane, uninsulated windows and curtain wall were replaced with new, high-performance glass and aluminum window wall systems. The amount of glazing was increased, allowing for floor-to-ceiling windows on the main facades. Combined with a narrow floor plate that incorporates extensive interior glazing, daylight enters most of the occupied spaces. Perimeter HVAC units were replaced with a central rooftop unit that has an evaporatively cooled condenser with an energy management system.
73,000 sq. ft. / 6,780 sq. m.
NAIOP – Best Renovation or Adaptive Reuse Award of Excellence
Washington Business Journal – Best Urban Project