HOK’s Henry Chao Describes How to Optimize Healthcare Construction
Henry Chao’s article describes opportunities to create savings in complex construction projects like hospitals.
“Much discussion and analysis has focused on devising strategies to address the imminent changes of the Affordable Care Act. Almost uniformly, experts see a flattening of the care delivery curve, with fewer resources for episodic care and more for preventive medicine and post-acute care follow-up. They also see the care delivery setting shifting from hospitals to outpatient, retail and at-home (via telemedicine) environments. All efforts aim to reduce or slow the growth of care delivery costs.”
Six opportunities for saving money on hospital projects include:
- Leverage clinical technology for savings in space and staff.
- Improve efficiency via modelling.
- From smart design to smart building to smart operation.
- Parallel processing in construction for better quality and faster delivery.
- Transfer cost from HVAC to building enclosure for better energy performance.
- Immersed integration for better care continuum.