HOK’s Notice of Recruitment Fraud / Recruitment Privacy Statement
18 May 2018
NOTICE OF RECRUTMENT FRAUD
HOK is monitoring an increased frequency of recruitment scams. Unscrupulous individuals are contacting job seekers and pretending to represent HOK or specific persons at HOK. These fraudsters use emails, texts, letters, faxes and phone calls to make false offers of employment with HOK or to provide a services related to employment (assistance in obtaining visa, travel arrangements, job training, proof of identity, etc.). The offers, which appear to be legitimate and may use HOK’s logo, often include specific details about a job description and related benefits such as salary, benefits, training and start date. The offers are often accompanied by requests for payment and/or sensitive personal information such as bank account information, credit card number, passport number or other information that could be used to commit identity theft.
If you are seeking employment with HOK, you should guard against recruitment fraud and pay close attention to these important facts:
- Neither HOK nor our authorized third-party recruiting partners will ever ask for payments of any kind. HOK does not collect personal banking, passport, visa or other sensitive personal data as part of the recruitment process. You should never send money or personal details to anyone suggesting they can provide employment with HOK.
- Legitimate emails from HOK end in @hok.com. Messages from fraudsters often come from webmail addresses such as gmail.com, hotmail.com and yahoo.com, or from addresses that incorporate part of a company’s name, such as hokcorporation.com or HOK-HR.com. Do not trust information provided to you from any domain name other than @hok.com.
- Before making an employment offer, HOK will always invite prospective employees, either by phone or email from a legitimate HOK email account, to a formal, in-person interview.
- Messages from fraudsters often contain spelling and grammatical errors.
- If you receive unsolicited or suspicious offers of employment from HOK, or simply want to verify the authenticity of an offer from HOK, you are advised to immediately stop all communication with this individual and forward the unedited email message or details of the offer to HOKContact@hok.com.
HOK treats incidents of fraud seriously and, as appropriate, reports them to law enforcement agencies. If your personal information has been compromised, you are encouraged to do the same.
RECRUITMENT PRIVACY STATEMENT
HOK Group, Inc., together with its subsidiaries and affiliates (“HOK”, “we” or “us”), is committed to protecting your personal information. All personal information provided by you or collected from third-party sources as part of the recruitment process is handled in accordance with privacy and data protection laws in the countries where HOK operates and on the terms set out in this Recruitment Privacy Statement. If you are hired by HOK, your personal information will be handled in accordance with HOK’s Corporate Integrity Handbook and your local Employee Handbook, which will be made available to you on your start date and available on HOK’s intranet.
1.0 HOW INFORMATION IS COLLECTED
HOK may collect your personal information orally, by telephone, in writing, by email and by online application at silkroad.hok.com. Information obtained in the application, review, and selection of employees (referred to as the “recruitment process”) will be handled in accordance with applicable law. HOK collects personal information directly from the individual to whom it relates, except where that individual has consented to HOK collecting the personal information from a third party or the law otherwise permits HOK to do so.
Personal information may be collected from, and disclosed to, third parties as necessary in the course of recruitment process, to ensure that the information HOK has is correct and to determine whether the applicant is suited to the available position. HOK may take steps to verify that academic, training and professional qualifications are accurate and complete and, in appropriate circumstances due to the nature of the available position, we may carry out criminal background checks and/or drug testing. Third parties may include: (i) recruitment or human-resource service providers; (ii) testing facilities; (iii) former employers; (iv) social media/network accounts; (v) police and other law enforcement agencies; and (vi) employment screening companies.
In each case, HOK treats personal information in accordance with the relevant privacy and data protection laws in the country in which we are operating, and we will take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information that we store is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
2.0 TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED
2.1 Personal Information
Personal information means any information relating to a person that enables them to be identified either directly or indirectly. Personal information that we hold about you may include your: (i) contact details (e.g. name, phone number, address and email address); (ii) academic qualifications; (iii) work experience; (iv) portfolio of work; (v) previous employment references; (vi) professional licenses; (vii) birth date; (viii) proof of identification; (ix) gender; (x) marital status; (xi) emergency contact information; (xii) spouse name; (xiii) spouse’s contact details; (xiv) dependents’ names; (xv) citizenship details (e.g. country of origin, visa, work permit, etc.); (xvi) current/past job titles; (xvii) current/past compensation; and (xix) C.V./ resume.
2.2 Sensitive Personal Information
Where required to do so by law, HOK collects information on the race/ethnicity of employees. In rare circumstances, when required by contract to do so, we may need to collect sensitive personal information about you, which may include criminal offenses committed by you or illegal drug screening results. We will only use such sensitive personal information where we are legally able to so and in order to: (i) administer or process the job application that you have with us; and/or (ii) assess and respond to a complaint you might make relating to our job application process.
3.0 HOW PERSONAL INFORMATION IS USED
Your personal information is collected primarily for the purposes of evaluating your qualifications for the position(s) available at HOK. Your personal information will be used to: (i) select suitable employees for HOK; (ii) confirm information on resume, C.V., and cover letter is correct; (iii) equal opportunities/affirmative action monitoring; conduct internal and external research, for example, equal opportunities monitoring; (iv) deal with any complaints you might make to us; (v) for our own administrative purposes, including training our staff, conducting internal audits or transferring assets as part of a sale, purchase or investment in the business; (vi) improve services provided by HOK; (vii) assist you with any future requirements, including to answer reasonable inquiries by any of your future employers; and (viii) comply with HOK’s legal and regulatory obligations.
4.0 GROUNDS FOR PROCESSING
To process your data lawfully we need to rely on one or more valid legal grounds. The grounds we will rely upon include:
- Our legitimate interests as a business (except where your interests or fundamental rights override these). For example, it is within our legitimate interests to use your data to prevent or detect fraud or abuses of our job application process and to verify you qualifications are as you represent them to be.
- Our compliance with a legal obligation. For example, we have a duty to investigate and check that you are legally entitled to work in the relevant country.
Where we process sensitive personal information about you, we rely on further legal grounds to process your information, in addition to those set out above, including:
- We are required by contract to obtain the sensitive personal information. For example, we may be required on an airport project to retain employees who can meet the security requirements mandated by law, the airlines and airport operator. Such requirements may include passing a criminal background check and/or illegal drug screening.
5.0 RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you are successful and offered employment with HOK, your personal information will be retained and transferred to your personnel file and used to manage your employment relationship with HOK. If you are not successful, we will only retain your information to the extent permitted by law, including retaining a record of your application and, unless you tell us that you do not wish us to do so, we may retain a copy of your resume for potential future opportunities.
6.0 EU RESIDENT RIGHTS
The EU GDPR provides EU residents with certain rights discussed below. EU residents also have the right to lodge a complaint with their local data protection authority if they believe that their personal information is not being processed in accordance with the law. EU residents may contact HOK regarding any of these rights by email at email@example.com or by mail to HOK Group, Inc., 10 South Broadway, Suite 200, St. Louis, Missouri, USA, 63102; Attention: Corporate Compliance Officer. HOK will respond within a reasonable time period, in any event, within any time period specified by law. Persons exercising these rights will be required to submit a proof of identity. If you are an EU resident, you have the right to:
- Obtain a copy of your personal information. You have the right to obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you by contacting us as directed above. In certain circumstances HOK may refuse you access to your personal information in whole or in part. The circumstances in which we may do so include where:
* Providing access to information would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others;
* The information relates to legal proceedings;
* Providing access to information would prejudice certain investigations;
* We are required by law or contract not to disclose the information;
* We have an option under law not to disclose the information and have formed the view in good faith that it would be inappropriate to provide access; or
* It is otherwise lawful to refuse access.
- Correct your personal information. You may request that we rectify any inaccurate and/or complete any incomplete personal information by contacting us as directed above. If we disagree and believe the information to be accurate and complete, we will advise you and include a notation on the record that you dispute the information’s accuracy.
- Withdraw your consent to processing. You may, as permitted by law, withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal information at any time by contacting us as directed above. Such withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on your previous consent. Please note that if you withdraw your consent, you may not be able to benefit from certain service features for which the processing of your personal information is essential.
- Object to processing. You may, as permitted by law, request that we stop processing your personal information by contacting us as directed above.
- Erasure. You may request that we erase your personal information by contacting us as directed above. We will comply, unless there is a lawful reason for not doing so.
- Lodge a complaint. We suggest that you first contact us as directed above regarding any questions or complaints in relation to your rights or how we process your personal information. However, this does not limit your right to directly contact your local data protection authority.